Monday, June 16, 2008

I broke the law...

Today I did something illegal. I "dumped". That's right, I am officially an illegal dumper. It's my first crime and I have to tell you it's not all it's cracked up to be. I felt especially bad when I came home and saw this. The problem is, there are really no other options. 
I cleaned out ten years worth of crap from my storage unit and was left with a mountain of trash and about 100 cardboard boxes. I tried to do the right thing. I spent an hour googling how to get rid of massive amounts of trash but came up empty. Yes, I know about "bulky item pick up", problem was, it was a lot of stuff and no where near my house. The only other option I could think of was to take my crap and put it in dumpsters. Lots of dumpsters. I drove around and deposited a box here, a bag there, until it was all gone. You want to stalk me? Find out intimate details of my life? Go dumpster diving, you will score. My eco conscience wouldn't let me trash the cardboard though. my solution? I placed them gently in an alley. Perfectly useable if anyone nearby is moving. So, that's how I became an illegal dumper... see article link above.

5 comments:

The Amatuer Writer said...

For an 'illegal dumper', you did pretty "well", considering all the trouble you went through to come up with the best solution to discard 10 years of your 'junk'. But the 'ironic article' you'd came across was quite a bummer. Nah, you did your best..

Totally loved the 'suggested idea' you'd proposed for your 'potential stalkers'..but I'll not be surprise if these people might just actually go dumpster driving for your 'stuff'..remember, there are lots of 'cuckoo(s)' out there, with nothing better to do with their lives..

Oh yeah, about a month ago, I did help clean our family home's store room and garage too and we kind of did the same; taking turns in our cars to the nearest 'legal dumping area'..with 3 cars, each taking an 'average' of 4-5 rounds to the dumpster, you'd just imagine the amount of junk we have!!..

Being said, I still think you did your best considering the 'circumstances'. Now that you'd finally settled the crap, don't you at least feel a little 'relieved' and 'light'?..lol

As always; Stay Well, Strong and Cool, dear DB.

xoxo ;)

texgirl said...

CRAZY!!! I also did some D.D. today, however, mine was not illegal per say, but the request was made not to use the dumpster
for large items (currently building a house). While the construction mangr. was gone, I put as much in that huge dumpster that I could get my hands on, to include an old refrig. that someone pushed off the back of a truck last month.

Now, for us that must watch what we put in the trash, did you at least shred some things, because you know someone will attempt to crawl in a dumpster if they think they might get some dirt. I'm lucky enough to have friends that will play along with the games, just to p*** people off because they don't know if it is someone I'm with or not.
Kudos to you for allowing the boxes to be recycled and saving a few trees.

Anonymous said...

One week you're checking books out from the library and riding your bike around and the next, you're committing a crime... or should I say crimes, since there's also the wasting of gas. You're hippy status has been officially revoked... hand over the patchouli and peace pipe.

Some visual stimuli...
http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php?id=7
http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set.php?arch_id=1

Anonymous said...

Well... the crime and the eco conscience pretty much off-set each other! No crime committed!

Anonymous said...

I understand you...

At the moment I am moving, I am very thankful we have for this a very good system in Germany