Saturday, January 8, 2011

Say Kindle To Me And I'll Spit In Your Face

I will post links later but for my current purpose it will suffice to say only that I have been inspired by various blogs and tweets to write this today.

     I am nearing the end Of A Widow for One Year by John Irving. If I'm being honest, I don't love the title and that widow that shows up for a split second in the latter third of the book seems contrived and just stuck in there willy nilly, which is upsetting in an otherwise well thought out, "everything in its place" kind of book. This, however, is not a book review. This is about what comes next. After 500 pages I am unnaturally attached to ruth cole and eddie o'hare and I'm not sure who to replace them with. usually, when I'm midway or more through a book the next book I am to read presents itself. By way of genre or author or some obscure reference. This hasn't happened. When it doesn't happen I will spend hours staring at my books. Not all at once, but total. Sometimes nothing works and I'm off to skylight to buy something. Which will, more often than not, turn in to somethings. Which, more often than not, will sit on my shelf to be contemplated at a later date and deemed insufficient to stand up to whatever masterpiece I've just read. It's a vicious and expensive (and heavy) cycle.
        
*and don't tell me to read The Help because I don't have it and I have to read at least one more of my own books before I go buy anything else! (Of course, now it's all I can think about. Crap!)

**I should also mention that without reading material that I am excited about I feel extremely uncomfortable.

11 comments:

Ursula said...

If I give you my version of The Help [I'm assuming you're talking about the one by Kathryn Stockett], would that end your suffering and solve your book-buying problems for the few days it takes you to read The Help?

It's sure to stick in your mind for months afterwards, Amazing book.

Kate W said...

What if I said the word Ipad would that get spit in my eye I prefer to be beaten with golf clubs until I lose consciousness

Randy Richards said...

C, are you saying, in regards to Kindle, that nearly(not really) unlimited reading choices at your finger tips is not as beneficial as it appears? I was just wondering about your title.

hayley said...

My current reading list:

Jonathan Safran Foer (everything)
Augusten Burroughs (the remaining few I haven't read)
Chuck Palahniuk's latest two.


Things I have enjoyed recently:

Sputnik Sweetheart and Dance, Dance, Dance - Haruki Murakami
Prep - Curtis Sittenfeld
Naïve. Super. - Erlend Loe
When I Was Five I Killed Myself - Howard Buten

You have probably read all of these, but just incase. I know the pains of a nightstand devoid of good books.

No kindle, ever.

Ali said...

Have you ever read The Life of Pi? Amazing book. Atlas Shrugged is amazing as well. Although I inherently disagree with Ayn Rand's theory of objectivity, I cannot deny the beauty of her writing. The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Quick read, but great book. I'm sure you've probably read The Road. It was hard to get into because of his writing style. Many, many fragmented sentences. Like that one. Or that one. Anyway, the ending is a bit unsatisfying, but the way he builds characters with very little description and very simple dialogue is pretty amazing.

Kindles are for losers. Technology has taken over everything. I'd rather have a shelf full of books. Not only is it a roadmap of where I've been, it also makes me appear intelligent to the ladies!

Christie said...

I also am uncomfortable witout reading material. So, not sure if your into Anne Morrow Lingbergh, but a Gift from the sea is a quick read but helps me remember to not be content with my own life, but to always search for more, and to be my own solution for my life. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I do the must-read-one-of-my-own before buying some new too.
It's weird that these bookshelves of mine have plenty of titles I thought would be oh so exciting and now I can't even lift my hand to grab them and read the back cover.

Ivana said...

Hahaha... I used to have the same problem..but then I made a promise to myself not to buy a new book unless I finish all of em; of course crappy books got excluded (once I accidentally bought a book about pick-up artist, there'll be no way am gonna finish that book!)

oh anyway, I enjoy reading your blog :) and OH! The Help is GOOD. A friend of mine finished it in 1 weekend. YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

Anonymous said...

you should read persepolis by marjane satrapi - i know it's "just" a graphic novel, but really, really great. i think you would like it.

Anonymous said...

Have you read the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" books? If not, give them a try. I was having a "what should I read?" dilemma and gave them a shot. There's a reason why they are best sellers- you'll be completely engrossed in no time.

I should point out that this genre isn't really my scene- but these books are really good.

*If you've already read them- good luck. :)

Anonymous said...

Charming, I may test that theory at the Brighton Convention